Monday, April 28, 2014

The past appears out of nowhere

I have a friend who apparently spent all of her college years taking pictures of everyone she knew. I say "apparently" because I didn't notice it at the time, but the pictures keep showing up on Facebook, and let me tell you, the ones with me in them are tragic.

The one she posted the other day didn't have me in it, but was instead of a few people I worked with at my college radio station, including a girl who I had a particularly difficult falling-out with. I'll spare you the details, but it was ugly.

Fine, whatever, she's in the photo, no big deal ... until I saw her comment. The comment in and of itself wasn't anything noteworthy, but it was enough for me to realize who the person was doing the commenting, since she's now married and her last name isn't the same. And before you ask, yes, I looked, but I will withhold further comment.

But that old feeling came back over me of being faced with someone I didn't want to deal with. In this case, did I want to comment, where I would then be a visible part of the conversation and she could respond, or just let it go?

As it turned out, I said something. A few people liked it. She had nothing to say, at least not for the purposes of that conversation. What she may have said privately at the sight of my name, I don't know and I don't care.

So for now, our lives remain separate. Fine by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment