Thursday, May 1, 2014

"Harry" could be the end of the world as we know it

Some people will apparently do anything if they think it will get them here.
Tuesday was my first time in Times Square (more on this in a future blog post), and as I was taking in the lights and the colors and the overall energy of the place, I saw something highly disturbing.

Off to my left, on a huge video board, was an ad for Fox's new show "I Wanna Marry 'Harry.'"

As in Prince Harry ... of Great Britain ... son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana ... grandson of Queen Elizabeth II ... brother of Prince William ... brother-in-law of Princess Catherine ... uncle of Prince George ... fourth in line to the British throne ...

... but not really. The producers have found some guy who looks enough like Prince Harry if you squint hard enough and a dozen American women looking for their Prince Charming.

The most-charitable thing I can say is that maybe the whole thing is staged, not just the faux-Harry, but the women vowing for his hand. Maybe the women aren't being fooled, but are actually playing being fooled for the benefit of the television audience.

The reason I say that's the most-charitable thing is because of the alternative ... that there are 12 women (plus however many more were rejected during the casting process) who honestly believe that  Prince Harry, who can probably have just about any woman in the world he wants, would choose his wife on a reality television show ... and that his family would begin to allow such a thing.

Yet I fear this is the case.

And I die a little more inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment